He was surprised that he was given his money. After all, he couldn’t access it to make phone calls in any of the 10 prisons he’s been held in during the last 12 weeks. Nobody has ever heard about this high level of ‘ghosting’ before. One Nigerian inmate who was weeping over missing his 5-year old boy said “you remind me of Nelson Mandela. You have a destiny.”
He has lost a lot of weight and has a rush in his face as a sign of his malnutrition. He was longing for a proper cup of tea (not in plastic) and his pub lunch was topped with two portions of ice cream. In the shop of the petrol station he was keen on apples and grapes… £1.27 per person is the food budget in prisons, Brian told us!
But the young prisoners think that chips, rice pudding and overcooked soups are wonderful! However, at 61, he outperformed them when they were running for exercise!
Always with another prisoner in his cell, he has learned that some 80 – 90% seem to be inside without justification. These 4 months were the longest after two other imprisonments of 7 and 2 weeks.
We’ve seen it all before:
- lawyers promise if they plead guilty they would get a better deal – why should they if they are innnocent?
- lawyers complain when family members support their loved ones, because they want their outcome their way – what’s in it for them?
- prison staff intimidate and exert undue powers such as NOT delivering what we sent him or not letting him teach creative writing to prisoners in the library – why?
Do judges know what they are doing when they make their sentences?
What has been institutionalised in prison ‘culture’ is
- an utter non-understanding of human nature
- a degree of punitiveness that beggars belief
- hypocrisy of the legal profession that is beyond all imagination – because everybody is ‘just doing their job’ – exactly as the Nazis…
PS. “Interesting” parallels with Michael Doherty: after he signalled to the Police that his daughter was being groomed on the internet, he became the victim of their prosecution in courts! Next week he’ll be in court with them for 5 days, as he’s issued private prosecutions.